My lab partner and I concluded our last Unit Ops experiment this past Wednesday. In fact, it was the last Unit Ops experiment session that we had to do, EVER. It’s bittersweet to think about the fact that we’ve been through so much with this lab class. All the ups and downs we’ve had, I’m going to treasure these moments. And when I graduate, I’m going to miss this place and all the fun we had. It’s been quite a journey. We’ve conducted a total of 10 different experiments in this room. We moved from one station to another, restlessly, one week after another. It was exhausting but also quite rewarding. I was not only be able to review the knowledge I learned from earlier classes, I was also able to apply it.
The last experiment we had to do was the Refrigeration experiment. The objective of this experiment is to analyze the vapor compression refrigeration cycle and assessing its performance from the coefficient of performance (COP). The system operates under varies conditions, and the experimentally generated COP will be compared to the theoretical COP. The three testing conditions that is going to be varied to generate real life conditions are the cooling water temperature, process water temperature, and the RPM of the compressor. Since many refrigeration units have air-cooled condensers, the seasonal changes in the temperature of the ambient air can be simulated by changing the cooling water flow rate. The variation in performance of the refrigeration system will also be assessed from the cooling duty changes by adjusting the RPM of the compressor.
In the center of the picture, my lab partner is carefully assessing the cooling water flow rates and making sure it maintains at the same level.
This Wednesday is the final presentation for this lab. After that, we need to submit a two page letter report summarizing the results. Once that’s submitted, we’ll actually be finished with Unit Ops. I’ll be ready by then to equipment myself with the knowledge I learned and take on future challenges.